Skip to main content

Winter Bedding Makeover - Snuggle Down and Stay Warm

It's finally here, the nights are drawing in, the temperature is starting to drop and it's time to say goodbye to my barely there summer duvet and welcome back my thick, heavy, cuddly winter duvet.  Only, the last couple of winters, the synthetic duvet just hasn't cut it, don't get me wrong, it's been okay.  As a 15tog rating it kept me warm on cold nights and it felt like a winter quilt only there was an element of comfort and luxury missing.

When I write novels I see them as movies in my head and I always imagine the settings and rooms as though they are places I can open a door and walk in to.  The character I'm writing at the moment has quite a luxury lifestyle, don't hate her she's lovely I promise, but there are a few scenes in her bedroom and I was imagining how her room would look and I was obsessed with her bed being comfortably luxurious, the kind if you jumped on it you'd disappear swallowed but the depth and thickness of the duvet.

If anyone has seen the film The Aftermath, the bedroom which Kiera Knightley's character  shares with her husband has the deepest, fluffiest duvet ever and it gave me quilt envy!

Now the cold winter nights are on the way I wanted my bed to be something I couldn't wait to get in to and would loath getting out of.   So I did my research and deiced to look at Duck feather and Down duvets.  I already use Duck Feather and Down pillows and have done for years, they are the most comfortable for me.  I've found when I've slept elsewhere on synthetic pillows they are not as comfortable as feather and down.

Duck Feather and down duvets are a natural option, they are light, comfortable and are thought to offer the best quality of sleep.  Being natural fibres they also 'breathe' and absorb moisture and release in the morning when aired.  As feather and down are light and fluffy it gives you that puffy luxurious look on your bed and has the best thermal qualities of a natural fibre.

There are a whole range and quality of Duck and Feather down duvets out there, costs can range from  the £20 mark to the £100+ mark.  Your choice will all depend on your budget and your needs, for those with allergies there are anti allergy versions.

I've been looking around for a while for a duvet that met with my budget and I recently found  a selection on Very in their sale section.  The Everyday Collection has a range of pillows, mattress toppers and duvets all of which are currently in the sale.  I deiced to give the King size 10.5 Tog Duvet and try, and I ordered two sets of the feather and down pillows (Below)


The reviews on both items were pretty positive, so with the sale price I thought this was worth the purchase.

My items arrived within 5 days of my order, the duvet and the pillows come in reusable storage bags which will be great when I need to store my winter duvet over the summer.

I did think I would need to leave the duvet out to puff up but after a quick shake it was good to go.  Some reviews had mentioned a smell from the down but for me there was no odour and i could detect no visible feathers sticking out.

Making up my bed I could tell the duvet was going to give that luxury look to my bed,  combined with the feather pillows it gives my bed that puffed up dive in look.   As to sleeping, well this is a a great combo, I find feather and down pillows are the best to sleep on, m quality of sleep is always superior compared to sleep in a synthetic pillow.  I also find I move around less, I use a silk pillowcase to sleep on to protect my hair and skin, this also helps with my skins sensitivity.

There has been a lot of research and articles lately on weighted blankets and how they help with anxiety and can have a calming effect.  I would say the weight of this duvet does have a somewhat calming effect, it is heavier than a synthetic duvet so I find I move around less in my sleep, which helps me to sleep sounder and more deeply.


All in all I would say I've partially achieved the look I was going for - a higher tog rating or more high end brand may give a fluffier puffed up look but this duvet gets me part way there.   The quality of the product is great so far, I'm hoping for some longevity from the product compared to the synthetic alternatives especially after washing.

All in all I'm pleased with my purchase and looking forward to a good night's sleep.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get Ready With Me - Pamper Routine

Life is hectic, stressful and chaotic, it can play havoc with your skin, your health and your general wellbeing.  Sometimes you just have to say stop and take a little time for yourself to give your body a treat and recharge your batteries for the days/weeks ahead. After going through periods of stress and anxiety I found that taking some time to have a mini pamper session could lift my mood, help my skin and lower my stress levels.  I try at least once a week to give myself a mini pamper session to relax and refocus my mind. This is currently my pamper routine; As we move in to Spring I'm exfoliating my skin with Calcot Manor Body salts, this is refreshing my skin and leaving it feeling smooth after months of being hidden under long sleeves and jumpers. I apply to damp skin using a circular motion starting at the feet and working my way up. CALCOT MANOR SCRUB I then shower off the salts which do leave a bit of oil on the skin, I tend to follow up with Treacle Moon

10 Things I Love about "It's Okay to Not be Okay"

It's Okay to not be Okay, started this past weekend on Netflix and TVN, produced by Studio Dragon, Story TV and Goldmedalist, it is a Romantic Drama a a whimsical fairy tale twist, staring Kim Soo Hyun in his first TV drama since returning from military service and Seo Ye Ji of Lawless Lawyer. This is a show I've been looking forward to since it was announced and I have to say the pre show hype did not disappoint. So two episodes in, here are the ten things I love about this show so far; 1.  Burton esq Whimsey The show begins with a Tim Burton esq animation, reminiscent of the Corpse Bride and Nightmare before Christmas, with a twisted tale to match.  The dark fairy tale and graphic characters of the animation are carried through in to the illustrations of Ko Moon-young's (Seo Ye Ji) children's books I love how the animation isn't dark which makes some of its darker themes all the more impactful. It also sets up Ko Moon-young as a character bea

It's "Almost" The Most Wonderful Time of The Year

It's the season to be jolly, there's just something about the Christmas season which fills your heart with hope, joy and make just maybe the odd Christmas Miracle.   I'm a Christmas person, I love the season, and yes to me it is a season, which kind of starts just after my Birthday in September.  That's when I start my planning; mind you I usually start my Christmas Shopping in January in order to spread the cost!   Right now, I'm planning my Christmas decorations and starting to work on some which are more craft based.  I'm a bit of a traditionalist, my tree tends to be red and gold, and although my tree is artificial as I have a rather excitable golden retriever who would probably chew or try to drag a real one in to the garden, it's green, I'm not a black or multi-colour tree type person.   Over the next couple of weeks I'll be working on a few craft projects, which I'll share here and hopefully it'll help get you in the Chris