Skip to main content

My Cosy Comfort Food for Autumn Nights - Panacalty

Summer is over, thankfully for me, I'm not a sun person I melt in the heat.  So as soon as the leaves start to turn and the nights start to draw in I do a little happy dance.  I love autumn/winter, I love the deep jewel colours, the cosy jumpers, big thick coats and walking on ground that crunches underfoot.

Over the past couple of weeks I've had some time to myself to chill, relax, concentrate on my writing and also my cooking.  I love cooking, I like to play with flavours and mess around with random things I have in my fridge.

At this time of year my craving for cosy comfort food starts to grow.  I love food that makes me feel warm and satisfied.  So I've decided to share with you all some of my favourites over the coming weeks and I would love to hear about some of your favourite cosy comfort foods so I can give them a try too


Panacalty or Pannack 


I'm from the Northeast and we have some regional variations on Panacalty or Pannack as my family has always called it. I think most families who make this warming one pot wonder have their own variation on the base recipe.  I tend to add vegetables to mine, I use it as a way of using up the veg tray in my fridge when it's nearing its end.  For those unfamiliar with Panacalty it is a one pot corned beef /bacon casserole with a potato top.

I generally start by greasing a deep casserole dish - I do this so washing the residue off is easier as the gravy tends to stick less to a greased dish.

You can use either sliced corned beef or a tin both work well.  I used a tin in this one.  I opened the tin with those fiddly little key things and once I had extracted the content I chopped it in to rough chunks and put it in the casserole dish.

Chopping two red onions I add this with two thinly chopped carrots and a handful of mushrooms.  You can adjust the quantities easily depending on however many you are catering for.  This one will feed four easily.

I then added some chopped bacon and mixed up some gravy using everyday gravy granules.  You can always use your own homemade gravy if you wish.  I add the gravy and bacon to the dish and then thinly slice enough potato to provide a layer on the top almost like a pie crust.

I heat my oven to 160 fan and let the dish cook for around 90minutes checking on it after about 1 hour.  I boost the heat for the last fifteen minutes to allow the potato to crisp and colour before serving.



This is an ideal meal on a cold autumn night to warm your stomach and your heart.  It's also pretty adaptable, you can add any veg you like such as peas, turnip or broccoli.  You can also add tomatoes if you prefer you sauce to be richer.





When serving I love to add  fresh buttered bread to mop up the gravy.




*******

Panacalty Recipe 

Ingredients 
(Serves 4 - adjust quantities as necessary) 


340g Corned Beef  
200g Bacon 
Potato (enough to cover the dish you are using when finely sliced) 
2 Carrots
200g Mushrooms  
2 medium onions 
500ml of gravy (mixed from granules) 
Salt and pepper to season 


1. Heat your oven to 160 fan 
2. Grease the edges of a casserole dish or roasting tin 
3. Crumble the corned beef in to the dish 
4. Add the bacon cutting it in to small pieces 
5. Chop and add the carrots, mushroom and onions 
6. Mix up 500ml of gravy and add to the dish 
7. Finely slice potato and layer across the top of the dish 
8. Cook for 60-90 minutes  - boost the heat for the last 5-10 minutes before serving to crisp the potato top 
9. Serve with your choice of accompaniments and enjoy 

******

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get Ready With Me - Pamper Routine

Life is hectic, stressful and chaotic, it can play havoc with your skin, your health and your general wellbeing.  Sometimes you just have to say stop and take a little time for yourself to give your body a treat and recharge your batteries for the days/weeks ahead. After going through periods of stress and anxiety I found that taking some time to have a mini pamper session could lift my mood, help my skin and lower my stress levels.  I try at least once a week to give myself a mini pamper session to relax and refocus my mind. This is currently my pamper routine; As we move in to Spring I'm exfoliating my skin with Calcot Manor Body salts, this is refreshing my skin and leaving it feeling smooth after months of being hidden under long sleeves and jumpers. I apply to damp skin using a circular motion starting at the feet and working my way up. CALCOT MANOR SCRUB I then shower off the salts which do leave a bit of oil on the skin, I tend to follow up with Treacle Moon

10 Things I Love about "It's Okay to Not be Okay"

It's Okay to not be Okay, started this past weekend on Netflix and TVN, produced by Studio Dragon, Story TV and Goldmedalist, it is a Romantic Drama a a whimsical fairy tale twist, staring Kim Soo Hyun in his first TV drama since returning from military service and Seo Ye Ji of Lawless Lawyer. This is a show I've been looking forward to since it was announced and I have to say the pre show hype did not disappoint. So two episodes in, here are the ten things I love about this show so far; 1.  Burton esq Whimsey The show begins with a Tim Burton esq animation, reminiscent of the Corpse Bride and Nightmare before Christmas, with a twisted tale to match.  The dark fairy tale and graphic characters of the animation are carried through in to the illustrations of Ko Moon-young's (Seo Ye Ji) children's books I love how the animation isn't dark which makes some of its darker themes all the more impactful. It also sets up Ko Moon-young as a character bea

It's "Almost" The Most Wonderful Time of The Year

It's the season to be jolly, there's just something about the Christmas season which fills your heart with hope, joy and make just maybe the odd Christmas Miracle.   I'm a Christmas person, I love the season, and yes to me it is a season, which kind of starts just after my Birthday in September.  That's when I start my planning; mind you I usually start my Christmas Shopping in January in order to spread the cost!   Right now, I'm planning my Christmas decorations and starting to work on some which are more craft based.  I'm a bit of a traditionalist, my tree tends to be red and gold, and although my tree is artificial as I have a rather excitable golden retriever who would probably chew or try to drag a real one in to the garden, it's green, I'm not a black or multi-colour tree type person.   Over the next couple of weeks I'll be working on a few craft projects, which I'll share here and hopefully it'll help get you in the Chris