Skip to main content

Cosy Comfort Food - Fruit Cake

There's nothing better than sitting down with a hot cuppa and a sweet treat.  I love cake, probably a little too much and I love always having something ready to go in my cake tin.  It's always nice to have something ready for that late afternoon slump or for when someone pops in for a chat.

I discovered the inspiration for this recipe last year, it was inspired by a Christmas Tray Bake recipe by the fabulous Mary Berry and I adapted it to my taste and store cupboard.


It's a little to no rise fruit cake which I cut in to bars for serving.  It's rich and golden and foes great with a cup of tea or coffee. You can use marzipan and icing like I do or keep it plain, its adaptable throughout the year and keeps well if you can stand to stop eating it.



Fruit Cake Tray Bake 


I stary with 175g of butter or margarine  whichever is your preference and 175g of light brown sugar. Creaming them together until light and fluffy before I add 4 eggs, 175g of plain flour, 450g dried fruit.  If you want the cake to have that Christmassy feel soak the fruit overnight in your favourite spirit, I use ameretto around 4 teaspoons just to infuse the almond flavour.  If you haven't time to soak your fruit and still want that spirit laced flavour you can add a teaspoon to the mix.

Once the mix is well combined I pour in to a cake tin - rectangular is best if you want to cut in to bars.  I then bake for around 60mins until light golden brown and a cake tester can be removed clean.



I allow the cake to cool fully, then I use a cake brush and give the cake a light layer of jam to help the marzipan to stick.  I roll out the marzipan to the right size and smooth over the top of the cake.  I then repeat with icing smoothing it across the cake before cutting in to bars.

I store the cake in an airtight tin.

Ingredients   

4 Teaspoons of a spirit of your choice 
4 Eggs
175g of Butter or Margarine 
175g of Light Brown Sugar 
450g of dried fruit - you can also add other dried fruits such as cherries and apricots taking the total weight up to approx 950g this will give you a heavier /denser fruit slice but will still work with the batter measurements 

For the Top 
Jam (Strawberry or Apricot) warmed 
500g marzipan (or almond paste) 
500g Ready to roll Icing


Preheat the over to 140fan (160c) 
Grease and line a tin approx 30 x 20cm with greaseproof paper 
Soak your fruit overnight if required. 
Cream the butter and sugar together 
Add eggs, flour, fruit and mix well 
Pour in to the prepared tin and level 
Bake for 60 mins until golden brown - insert a skewer to test 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get Ready With Me - Pamper Routine

Life is hectic, stressful and chaotic, it can play havoc with your skin, your health and your general wellbeing.  Sometimes you just have to say stop and take a little time for yourself to give your body a treat and recharge your batteries for the days/weeks ahead. After going through periods of stress and anxiety I found that taking some time to have a mini pamper session could lift my mood, help my skin and lower my stress levels.  I try at least once a week to give myself a mini pamper session to relax and refocus my mind. This is currently my pamper routine; As we move in to Spring I'm exfoliating my skin with Calcot Manor Body salts, this is refreshing my skin and leaving it feeling smooth after months of being hidden under long sleeves and jumpers. I apply to damp skin using a circular motion starting at the feet and working my way up. CALCOT MANOR SCRUB I then shower off the salts which do leave a bit of oil on the skin, I tend to follow up with Treacle Moon

10 Things I Love about "It's Okay to Not be Okay"

It's Okay to not be Okay, started this past weekend on Netflix and TVN, produced by Studio Dragon, Story TV and Goldmedalist, it is a Romantic Drama a a whimsical fairy tale twist, staring Kim Soo Hyun in his first TV drama since returning from military service and Seo Ye Ji of Lawless Lawyer. This is a show I've been looking forward to since it was announced and I have to say the pre show hype did not disappoint. So two episodes in, here are the ten things I love about this show so far; 1.  Burton esq Whimsey The show begins with a Tim Burton esq animation, reminiscent of the Corpse Bride and Nightmare before Christmas, with a twisted tale to match.  The dark fairy tale and graphic characters of the animation are carried through in to the illustrations of Ko Moon-young's (Seo Ye Ji) children's books I love how the animation isn't dark which makes some of its darker themes all the more impactful. It also sets up Ko Moon-young as a character bea

It's "Almost" The Most Wonderful Time of The Year

It's the season to be jolly, there's just something about the Christmas season which fills your heart with hope, joy and make just maybe the odd Christmas Miracle.   I'm a Christmas person, I love the season, and yes to me it is a season, which kind of starts just after my Birthday in September.  That's when I start my planning; mind you I usually start my Christmas Shopping in January in order to spread the cost!   Right now, I'm planning my Christmas decorations and starting to work on some which are more craft based.  I'm a bit of a traditionalist, my tree tends to be red and gold, and although my tree is artificial as I have a rather excitable golden retriever who would probably chew or try to drag a real one in to the garden, it's green, I'm not a black or multi-colour tree type person.   Over the next couple of weeks I'll be working on a few craft projects, which I'll share here and hopefully it'll help get you in the Chris