Skip to main content

Movie Night - The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society




I have not blogged for a while, l have been focusing on developing and plotting my forth novel.  Also I haven’t really felt there’s been so much going on that would interest any reader, but last night was movie night, yes I know that’s not something massively out of the ordinary but the film I saw was beautifully inspiring and I really felt pushed to write a little review.  


The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society is a film I have been looking forward to for a while.  I am a fan of Lily James, I think she is a brilliant actor probably one of the best up can coming stars in the UK.  I am also a huge fan of period drama and have a personal interest in WW2 based fiction and fact.  

Based on Annie Barrows book of the same name, currently and amazon bestseller, the film follows writer Juliet Ashton in post war England suffering writer’s block while working on a book of English Foibles and touring the country giving talks on her last publication under the pen name Izzy Bickerstaff.  She is also feeling a little overwhelmed in her relationship with American Markham Reynolds who showers her with gifts, filling her rented room to bursting with fresh flowers and treating her to champagne filled nights out.  

She receives a letter from a Dawsey Adams who found her name in a copy of Charles Lamb’s Essays of Elia.  He enquires if she would be willing to help him source more work by the author and adds he is a member of The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.  Intrigued Juliet responds and becomes enamoured with his stories of the society and life during the German occupation of Guernsey.  

Spurred on by his words Juliet travels to Guernsey to meet the society in person.  As she prepares to leave, Reynolds proposes on the dock with a beautifully extravagant engagement ring.   Agreeing to the engagement Juliet travels across the channel and lands on the island, her plans to stay at the local hotel are thwarted by a hole in the roof so she seeks a room at a local B&B the hostess making her feel rather uncomfortable about her ring she hides it. 

Juliet attends and meets all members of the Society save its founder Elizabeth McKenna, she discovers through building relationships with society members that Elizabeth has been arrested and taken to the continent, leaving her four-year-old daughter Kit in the care of members of the society until her return. 

Spurred on by the love, companionship, bravery and self-discovery she experiences on Guernsey, Juliet decides to write about the Occupation.  Putting off requests from her Publisher and Fiancé to return Juliet becomes part of the society, embraces the life they lead, and helps them to support Kit.    

Using her connections, she endeavours to trace Elizabeth for the people she’s grown to love.  

Reynolds travels to Guernsey to bring home his bride to be and in doing so pushes Juliet to make a decision about the person he thinks she is and the person she knows she is.  

This is a beautiful film that I cannot recommend highly enough, the location is beautiful and it tackles topics of the ‘other’ sensitively and shows how small communities dealt with the aftermath of war.  


James is wonderful as Juliet Ashton, she brings a natural nervousness to the character that makes her feel more identifiable and real.  It’s like the moment in Pretty Woman when Richard Gere traps Julia Roberts fingers in the jewellery box and she laughs, it’s a memorable scene because her reaction is unguarded and natural and that’s how James approaches the character throughout the movie.  She is supported by Michiel Huisman as Dawsey Adams with whom she has an electric chemistry, Penelope Wilton as the grief stricken Amelia Maugery who’s dinner party brings the whole society together.  Katherine Parkinson is the wonderfully eccentric Isola Pribby and in flash backs Jessica Brown Findlay plays the brave and forward thinking Elizabeth Mckenna and Matthew Goode as Sidney, Juliet’s supportive best friend and publisher Sidney.  

It feels a little like a Downton Abbey Reunion of sorts and has that same age of elegance feel to it.  It does evoke a golden age but in pulling up its boots getting back to life way more than papering over the cracks in the walls from the bombs that have fallen.  

It is definitely a heart-warming Sunday afternoon with tea, cake and a roaring fire movie that will warm your heart and soul.  




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get Ready With Me - Pamper Routine

Life is hectic, stressful and chaotic, it can play havoc with your skin, your health and your general wellbeing.  Sometimes you just have to say stop and take a little time for yourself to give your body a treat and recharge your batteries for the days/weeks ahead. After going through periods of stress and anxiety I found that taking some time to have a mini pamper session could lift my mood, help my skin and lower my stress levels.  I try at least once a week to give myself a mini pamper session to relax and refocus my mind. This is currently my pamper routine; As we move in to Spring I'm exfoliating my skin with Calcot Manor Body salts, this is refreshing my skin and leaving it feeling smooth after months of being hidden under long sleeves and jumpers. I apply to damp skin using a circular motion starting at the feet and working my way up. CALCOT MANOR SCRUB I then shower off the salts which do leave a bit of oil on the skin, I tend to follow up with Treacle Moon

10 Things I Love about "It's Okay to Not be Okay"

It's Okay to not be Okay, started this past weekend on Netflix and TVN, produced by Studio Dragon, Story TV and Goldmedalist, it is a Romantic Drama a a whimsical fairy tale twist, staring Kim Soo Hyun in his first TV drama since returning from military service and Seo Ye Ji of Lawless Lawyer. This is a show I've been looking forward to since it was announced and I have to say the pre show hype did not disappoint. So two episodes in, here are the ten things I love about this show so far; 1.  Burton esq Whimsey The show begins with a Tim Burton esq animation, reminiscent of the Corpse Bride and Nightmare before Christmas, with a twisted tale to match.  The dark fairy tale and graphic characters of the animation are carried through in to the illustrations of Ko Moon-young's (Seo Ye Ji) children's books I love how the animation isn't dark which makes some of its darker themes all the more impactful. It also sets up Ko Moon-young as a character bea

It's "Almost" The Most Wonderful Time of The Year

It's the season to be jolly, there's just something about the Christmas season which fills your heart with hope, joy and make just maybe the odd Christmas Miracle.   I'm a Christmas person, I love the season, and yes to me it is a season, which kind of starts just after my Birthday in September.  That's when I start my planning; mind you I usually start my Christmas Shopping in January in order to spread the cost!   Right now, I'm planning my Christmas decorations and starting to work on some which are more craft based.  I'm a bit of a traditionalist, my tree tends to be red and gold, and although my tree is artificial as I have a rather excitable golden retriever who would probably chew or try to drag a real one in to the garden, it's green, I'm not a black or multi-colour tree type person.   Over the next couple of weeks I'll be working on a few craft projects, which I'll share here and hopefully it'll help get you in the Chris