Skip to main content

GoodBye Summer...Hello Autumn

Summer is on the wane now September is here, although there is talk of an Indian Summer next week.  For me however I'm ready for the cooler weather, heat has never been a best friend to me.  I'm pale skinned and I take after my grandad when I get too hot.  It just doesn't agree with me.  I like a few weeks of summer but clammy nights takes it toll on me as sleeping when you're just too hot is not easily accomplished.

On the no so selfish side, it's also a lot better for my dog, Hero, when it gets cooler, his thick fur coat becomes more helpful than a hindrance.

Besides, being born in September also makes me an autumn child, there's just something about the start of this season that is rather exciting.  So this blog will be me discussing why it is I love this season....




1. The colours of Autumn

Summer is bright and bountiful, the colours are amazingly bright, light and cool.  You wear clothes that are light in shade, aqua and yellow look brilliant in the sun - not so great in mid winter.  Make up colours are lighter almost bare.

But in Autumn, the colours are amazingly deep and rich and warming.  The deep oranges, red and greens are amazing and I love watching the leaves change, it makes the world look cosy, rich and bountiful.

2. Comfort Food

Now in summer, when you're hot and clammy you really don't want hot food.  Salads become the norm but in autumn, when the nights start drawing in you crave homely comfort rich warm food.  Who could resist Mince and Dumplings, cottage pie, hot apple pie with cinnamon.

There's something so very special about the foods you eat in winter, the seasonal veg and produce are tastier and more adaptable than salad and believe me I love salad.

3. Darker Nights

As the days grow darker there's something comforting in the darkness drawing in the lights going on and a blazing fire in the grate.  Home becomes your haven to cuddle up in not an oven to escape out of.

I love walking my dog in the cold dark nights trampling over the crisp leaves, hearing their crunching sounds.  the way the trees bow and on cloudless nights you can see all the stars.

4. Seeing Your Breath

Whether it be when you leave the house on a morning or come home on the evening there's something special and magical about seeing your breath in the cold night air.

5. Layers of clothing

Now I don't get on with heat - the summer kind of stifling weather heat where you have such light layers of clothing on and your still to hot. But in the cold autumn days and nights there's something special and comforting about layering your clothing and the colours you can wear.

6.  Halloween Decorations

After Easter there's not really any holidays, summer is a season you don't really decorate for.  I love to decorate and design.  I love to change the look of my home, and as September turns to October I will love pulling out all the Halloween decorations I have accumulated.  They make the house look warmer - yes even with skulls and witches.

Plus once you take those down and the bonfires have all been burned and fireworks have lit the sky it's only a couple of weeks before you get to the most magical and beloved season.


I'm an autumn winter child, I love the cold fresh feeling of autumn and the crispness of the on coming winter.  What traditions do you have when the clocks go back?




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get Ready With Me - Pamper Routine

Life is hectic, stressful and chaotic, it can play havoc with your skin, your health and your general wellbeing.  Sometimes you just have to say stop and take a little time for yourself to give your body a treat and recharge your batteries for the days/weeks ahead. After going through periods of stress and anxiety I found that taking some time to have a mini pamper session could lift my mood, help my skin and lower my stress levels.  I try at least once a week to give myself a mini pamper session to relax and refocus my mind. This is currently my pamper routine; As we move in to Spring I'm exfoliating my skin with Calcot Manor Body salts, this is refreshing my skin and leaving it feeling smooth after months of being hidden under long sleeves and jumpers. I apply to damp skin using a circular motion starting at the feet and working my way up. CALCOT MANOR SCRUB I then shower off the salts which do leave a bit of oil on the skin, I tend to follow up with Treacle Moon

10 Things I Love about "It's Okay to Not be Okay"

It's Okay to not be Okay, started this past weekend on Netflix and TVN, produced by Studio Dragon, Story TV and Goldmedalist, it is a Romantic Drama a a whimsical fairy tale twist, staring Kim Soo Hyun in his first TV drama since returning from military service and Seo Ye Ji of Lawless Lawyer. This is a show I've been looking forward to since it was announced and I have to say the pre show hype did not disappoint. So two episodes in, here are the ten things I love about this show so far; 1.  Burton esq Whimsey The show begins with a Tim Burton esq animation, reminiscent of the Corpse Bride and Nightmare before Christmas, with a twisted tale to match.  The dark fairy tale and graphic characters of the animation are carried through in to the illustrations of Ko Moon-young's (Seo Ye Ji) children's books I love how the animation isn't dark which makes some of its darker themes all the more impactful. It also sets up Ko Moon-young as a character bea

It's "Almost" The Most Wonderful Time of The Year

It's the season to be jolly, there's just something about the Christmas season which fills your heart with hope, joy and make just maybe the odd Christmas Miracle.   I'm a Christmas person, I love the season, and yes to me it is a season, which kind of starts just after my Birthday in September.  That's when I start my planning; mind you I usually start my Christmas Shopping in January in order to spread the cost!   Right now, I'm planning my Christmas decorations and starting to work on some which are more craft based.  I'm a bit of a traditionalist, my tree tends to be red and gold, and although my tree is artificial as I have a rather excitable golden retriever who would probably chew or try to drag a real one in to the garden, it's green, I'm not a black or multi-colour tree type person.   Over the next couple of weeks I'll be working on a few craft projects, which I'll share here and hopefully it'll help get you in the Chris