Skip to main content

Easter - Celebrations, Decorations and Baking

I love holidays, I am one of those people who starts there Christmas shopping in January just because I love to celebrate things.

So after Christmas when it's those cold dark months of generally rain up here in the North I look forward to Easter and the time of year when everything starts to change and become new again.

This year Easter is early, so its still quite cold so my garden isn't looking its best.  Since there's been so much rain and damp there's been no chance of tidying of planting so my Spring clean focused on the interior of my house.  This involved paining everything!

Anyone who owns a dog especially a large one will feel my pain when it comes to white walls and light coloured carpets, they just aren't a great match.  Now the weather is picking up just that little bit the amount of mud being trampled through the house and shaken on to walls has reduced, it was time for the paint brushes to come out of retirement and the white paint to be sloshed liberally about the walls.

That done I could raid my Easter Box of decorations, yes I am one of those people who has decorations for each celebration, just wait till Halloween!

This year my theme is suppose is Glitter Bunnies, I found these in a local supplier and fell in love so they are now adorning my mantle piece, table and stool.





My dining table has had it's Spring makeover and now has a nice light coloured cloth and runner with pale gold star decoration.  I teamed this with a beautiful bowl of tulips and some Easter decorations 


Once my decorations were up it was time to get baking!  I love baking and cooking in general, it gives me a bit of a release sometimes when I've been writing a lot it's a nice way to distract and relax my brain.

We have Easter traditions in my family, we have to have paste eggs and Simnel Cake, we also only eat Fish on Good Friday.

Paste Eggs are really easy to make, all you need to do is save up the outer skins of any onions, the dry kind you generally throw away. I tend to save these up in the weeks leading up to Easter so I have a pan full.  I then add water to the pan and submerge around half a dozen eggs at a time in to the water and skins.  I then leave them on a low heat to boil for around 30 mins, then I remove and often do another two or three batches.  The water and skins create a deep red natural dye so you don't need to change the water from batch to batch, if you don't think there's enough in the pan just add more water.  This is what you'll get when they are done;

Paste Eggs 

The next big bake is Simnel cake.  This is very reminiscent of a traditional cake just made without the black treacle.  Simnel cake is more or a light golden colour than Christmas cake.  Once the cake batter is made I tend to use a smaller cake tin than I would at Christmas.  Once baked I decorate with Marzipan.


Topping the cake is 11 round balls of marzipan, which represent the apostles, the marzipan is then toasted.  I've also added a little basket of eggs in the middle. 

Then lastly my favourite biscuits, I love these so much I could eat them all in one sitting!  Almond thumb prints with a cherry on top; 




And most importantly Hero met a new friend; 


Happy Easter!  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get Ready With Me - Pamper Routine

Life is hectic, stressful and chaotic, it can play havoc with your skin, your health and your general wellbeing.  Sometimes you just have to say stop and take a little time for yourself to give your body a treat and recharge your batteries for the days/weeks ahead. After going through periods of stress and anxiety I found that taking some time to have a mini pamper session could lift my mood, help my skin and lower my stress levels.  I try at least once a week to give myself a mini pamper session to relax and refocus my mind. This is currently my pamper routine; As we move in to Spring I'm exfoliating my skin with Calcot Manor Body salts, this is refreshing my skin and leaving it feeling smooth after months of being hidden under long sleeves and jumpers. I apply to damp skin using a circular motion starting at the feet and working my way up. CALCOT MANOR SCRUB I then shower off the salts which do leave a bit of oil on the skin, I tend to follow up with Treacle Moon

Festive Reads - Mince Pies and Mistletoe at the Christmas Market

My second Festive Read, yes I know it's still technically September, was Heidi Swain's Mince Pies and Mistletoe at the Christmas Market.   Released in October 2016, this book is part of the Wynbridge series, in this story we are introduced to Ruby who has recently dropped out of university and is heading home to run a market stall for the Cherry Tree Cafe in order to save some money to go travelling. Her dad is not happy that his daughter whom he seems to want to live vicariously through is working as a market trader.  It soon turns out there maybe more to his concerns about her working on the market than it first seemed.  Not only is Ruby faced with dealing with her dad and his strange behaviour but she is working on the stall next to her childhood sweet heart who after three years she still hasn't got over.  Throwing herself in to making this the best Christmas market ever Ruby is determined to being back the community feeling and turn Wynbridge's Christmas mar

10 Things I Love about "It's Okay to Not be Okay"

It's Okay to not be Okay, started this past weekend on Netflix and TVN, produced by Studio Dragon, Story TV and Goldmedalist, it is a Romantic Drama a a whimsical fairy tale twist, staring Kim Soo Hyun in his first TV drama since returning from military service and Seo Ye Ji of Lawless Lawyer. This is a show I've been looking forward to since it was announced and I have to say the pre show hype did not disappoint. So two episodes in, here are the ten things I love about this show so far; 1.  Burton esq Whimsey The show begins with a Tim Burton esq animation, reminiscent of the Corpse Bride and Nightmare before Christmas, with a twisted tale to match.  The dark fairy tale and graphic characters of the animation are carried through in to the illustrations of Ko Moon-young's (Seo Ye Ji) children's books I love how the animation isn't dark which makes some of its darker themes all the more impactful. It also sets up Ko Moon-young as a character bea