Skip to main content

Latest Read - A Meditation on Murder - Robert Thorogood

Robert Thorogood's novel follows Detective Richard Poole  and his team on the island of caribbean island of Saint Marie as they investigate the murder of Retreat owner/spiritual guide and all round good guy Aslan Kennedy. 

Richard isn't your typical Caribbean police office, he's more of a stuff English conservative who wears wool suits in the hottest of weather even if that means he faints every once in a while.  He's also someone who doesn't like to have a problem he can't solve.   Along with his long suffering partner Camille he works on solving the locked room murder.  
Five people enter a Japanese tea house to undertake the retreats sunrise healing ceremony locked in by Aslan himself only for their meditations to be interrupted when they wake to found Aslan dead.

So who did it?

I picked up this novel as I've watched the popular series on BBC which was inspired by this novel.  It's a very Christie like scenario, although there's a murder there's not a lot of gory details, it's more a morning coffee time novel than a dark and menacing murder mystery.

I did find in my mind I was drawing on my knowledge of the TV characters and to be honest there was no difference I think the TV series and the book are well matched and well played out.

The book follows the case and reminds you every so often of the suspects, the motives etc.  It was a well paced story and the characters are likeable.  The suspects are set up well with well thought out motives and you spend your time considering the plausibility of each one being the killer.  The clues are there for you to discover and solve the mystery along with the Richard.

This was a great read, it reminded me of the Marple series as it's quite a clean murder mystery and and easy read.

all in all a great **** read.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get Ready With Me - Pamper Routine

Life is hectic, stressful and chaotic, it can play havoc with your skin, your health and your general wellbeing.  Sometimes you just have to say stop and take a little time for yourself to give your body a treat and recharge your batteries for the days/weeks ahead. After going through periods of stress and anxiety I found that taking some time to have a mini pamper session could lift my mood, help my skin and lower my stress levels.  I try at least once a week to give myself a mini pamper session to relax and refocus my mind. This is currently my pamper routine; As we move in to Spring I'm exfoliating my skin with Calcot Manor Body salts, this is refreshing my skin and leaving it feeling smooth after months of being hidden under long sleeves and jumpers. I apply to damp skin using a circular motion starting at the feet and working my way up. CALCOT MANOR SCRUB I then shower off the salts which do leave a bit of oil on the skin, I tend to follow up with Treacle Moon

10 Things I Love about "It's Okay to Not be Okay"

It's Okay to not be Okay, started this past weekend on Netflix and TVN, produced by Studio Dragon, Story TV and Goldmedalist, it is a Romantic Drama a a whimsical fairy tale twist, staring Kim Soo Hyun in his first TV drama since returning from military service and Seo Ye Ji of Lawless Lawyer. This is a show I've been looking forward to since it was announced and I have to say the pre show hype did not disappoint. So two episodes in, here are the ten things I love about this show so far; 1.  Burton esq Whimsey The show begins with a Tim Burton esq animation, reminiscent of the Corpse Bride and Nightmare before Christmas, with a twisted tale to match.  The dark fairy tale and graphic characters of the animation are carried through in to the illustrations of Ko Moon-young's (Seo Ye Ji) children's books I love how the animation isn't dark which makes some of its darker themes all the more impactful. It also sets up Ko Moon-young as a character bea

It's "Almost" The Most Wonderful Time of The Year

It's the season to be jolly, there's just something about the Christmas season which fills your heart with hope, joy and make just maybe the odd Christmas Miracle.   I'm a Christmas person, I love the season, and yes to me it is a season, which kind of starts just after my Birthday in September.  That's when I start my planning; mind you I usually start my Christmas Shopping in January in order to spread the cost!   Right now, I'm planning my Christmas decorations and starting to work on some which are more craft based.  I'm a bit of a traditionalist, my tree tends to be red and gold, and although my tree is artificial as I have a rather excitable golden retriever who would probably chew or try to drag a real one in to the garden, it's green, I'm not a black or multi-colour tree type person.   Over the next couple of weeks I'll be working on a few craft projects, which I'll share here and hopefully it'll help get you in the Chris