Skip to main content

A Curious Evening


Now, firstly I must admit when Mark Haddon’s novel “The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night time” was released I wasn’t really aware of it.  I saw it in a few books stores but it never really caught my fancy.   Then I heard it was being adapted into a play for the West End and I read a bit more about it.  After seeing a documentary on the production and hearing there was to be a UK tour I decided this was something I’d love to see.  So, over twelve months ago I booked tickets for the opening night at the Sunderland Empire and well I wasn’t disappointed. 


Late one night Christopher (Joshua Jenkins) finds his neighbour’s dog dead in the garden, speared with a garden fork.  After being found with Wellington (the dog) he has a run in with a police officer who doesn’t understand Christopher doesn’t like to be touched. He is taken to the police station where his dad, Ed (Stuart Laing) comes to collect him.   Christopher decides at this point to investigate Wellington’s murder even though his dad tells him not to. 


Described as a Mathematician with behavioural difficulties there are allusions to Asperger’s or Autism in the way Christopher behaves and reacts to the world around him.  Told through the book he writes for his teacher Siobhan, whose aim is to help him understand society and the world around him, the story follows Christopher as he investigates Wellington’s death. 

Christopher has to overcome his limitations and face his fears throughout the story;
  • ·       He doesn’t like to be touched and reacts violently
  • ·       He doesn’t like talking to strangers
  • ·       He likes things to be clean
  • ·       He doesn’t understand people or metaphors
  • ·       He doesn’t travel alone any further than the end of his street



Investigating Wellington’s death uncovers some other family truths Christopher wasn’t aware of and leads him to London, accompanied by his pet rat Toby.   

This touring production put on a magical experience for all in attendance.  The whole cast deserves praise for their performances, but I must say Joshua Jenkins was absolutely amazing.  He managed to convey Christopher’s emotionless logical way in an empathetic and utterly believable manner; it’s an emotion full performance of someone who is not comfortable with emotions. 

The stage, lighting and props were brilliant and played fantastically in to the story and really created the sense of seeing the world the way Christopher does. 

Since starting this article I have now seen the show for a second time and again was impressed by the depth, emotion and commitment the cast show. 


If you can go and see this tour you won’t regret it - TourDates. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get Ready With Me - Pamper Routine

Life is hectic, stressful and chaotic, it can play havoc with your skin, your health and your general wellbeing.  Sometimes you just have to say stop and take a little time for yourself to give your body a treat and recharge your batteries for the days/weeks ahead. After going through periods of stress and anxiety I found that taking some time to have a mini pamper session could lift my mood, help my skin and lower my stress levels.  I try at least once a week to give myself a mini pamper session to relax and refocus my mind. This is currently my pamper routine; As we move in to Spring I'm exfoliating my skin with Calcot Manor Body salts, this is refreshing my skin and leaving it feeling smooth after months of being hidden under long sleeves and jumpers. I apply to damp skin using a circular motion starting at the feet and working my way up. CALCOT MANOR SCRUB I then shower off the salts which do leave a bit of oil on the skin, I tend to follow up with Treacle Moon

10 Things I Love about "It's Okay to Not be Okay"

It's Okay to not be Okay, started this past weekend on Netflix and TVN, produced by Studio Dragon, Story TV and Goldmedalist, it is a Romantic Drama a a whimsical fairy tale twist, staring Kim Soo Hyun in his first TV drama since returning from military service and Seo Ye Ji of Lawless Lawyer. This is a show I've been looking forward to since it was announced and I have to say the pre show hype did not disappoint. So two episodes in, here are the ten things I love about this show so far; 1.  Burton esq Whimsey The show begins with a Tim Burton esq animation, reminiscent of the Corpse Bride and Nightmare before Christmas, with a twisted tale to match.  The dark fairy tale and graphic characters of the animation are carried through in to the illustrations of Ko Moon-young's (Seo Ye Ji) children's books I love how the animation isn't dark which makes some of its darker themes all the more impactful. It also sets up Ko Moon-young as a character bea

It's "Almost" The Most Wonderful Time of The Year

It's the season to be jolly, there's just something about the Christmas season which fills your heart with hope, joy and make just maybe the odd Christmas Miracle.   I'm a Christmas person, I love the season, and yes to me it is a season, which kind of starts just after my Birthday in September.  That's when I start my planning; mind you I usually start my Christmas Shopping in January in order to spread the cost!   Right now, I'm planning my Christmas decorations and starting to work on some which are more craft based.  I'm a bit of a traditionalist, my tree tends to be red and gold, and although my tree is artificial as I have a rather excitable golden retriever who would probably chew or try to drag a real one in to the garden, it's green, I'm not a black or multi-colour tree type person.   Over the next couple of weeks I'll be working on a few craft projects, which I'll share here and hopefully it'll help get you in the Chris