Skip to main content

My Top 5 Korean Drama / Thrillers

I'm a huge drama fan be it movies, theatre or TV I love drama as a viewer and as a writer, I love immersing myself in other lives.  George RR Martin said 'A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once."  For me as a writer I get to live a thousand lives, as a reader a thousand more and as a drama lover who knows.  I always get excited when the autumn season of drama is due to start in the UK, there's always been something to look forward to building up to some great dramas in the winter months to curl up and become absorbed in.  But the dramas this past year were lacking for me and I needed something new to fill the void of lives I was missing out on.

Netflix is always a great place for me to find something different, it replaced my love of the video store when that became a thing of the past.  Browsing the shelves and peaking at the inserts deciding which film I would spend my evening with.  I even worked in a video store and loved the perk of being able to take someones dreams home with me, similar to my love for bookshops the video store was always an exciting treat.  Now everything is on line (including books but gladly I still love the bookshop, there's nothing like the smell of new paper) I get to sit and scroll the inserts looking for something that piques my interest and I found it in the Korean dramas.

So, over the past eight months I've done a lot of binge watching and apologising to my neglected books.  Here is my top five (so far) Korean drama/thrillers on Netflix; 


1. The K2 
Ji Chang-wook is a mercenary intent of revenge against the political heavy weight who killed his lover and framed him resulting in his living under an assumed name Kim Je-ha.  Returning to Korea he is embroiled with Choi Yoo-jin the wife of the presidential candidate rival to his enemy.  Becoming the bodyguard Choi Yoo-jin's hidden step-daughter Go An-na who's life is under constant threat from her stepmother keeping her locked up and out of sight.  

Falling for the reclusive and traumatised An-na he is torn between his revenge and protecting An-na from her stepmother.  

A fast paced twisting plot reminiscent of Snow White, with the security officers acting as the dwarfs, you are driven at speed swerving for and against characters as their flaws, weaknesses and backgrounds are exposed.  Not all characters are good as in the fairy tales, not all are wholly bad through the rollercoaster of action, emotion and political drama this will keep you guessing till the end. 

2. Pride and Prejudice 
Not the Jane Austen style if that's what you're thinking. This 21 part part prosecutor procedural follows Gu Dong-chi (Choi Jin-Hyuk) who passed the bar exam straight from high school and practiced as a prosecutor for ten years, becoming and expert in reading people while keeping his own thoughts well hidden.  When trainee prosecutor Han Yeol-mu walks back in to his life after a romantic encounter she brings with her a historic case that will shake up his life and open old wounds.  Working with veteran prosecutor Moon Hee-man, form taekwondo athlete turned investigator Kang Soo to fight for justice for those often overlooked and powerless against the prideful and prejudiced system. 

The heartfelt stories of loss an misfortune linked by an overarching conspiracy running through the series keeps you hooked, while the personal stories of the main and supporting characters will pull at your heartstrings.   The Character Moon Hee-man played by Choi Min-soo rules the show as a what I can only liken to a Ray Winston like likeable gangster.  While the real scene stealer is Chan the little boy who forms part of one of the cases who owns every scene he appears in. 


3. Come and Hug Me 
Is a lot darker than the title suggests, the story of Gil Nak-won who moves as a teenager with her family close to Na-mu a boy with a fearsome father.  Nak-won and Na-mu develop a close friendship, they are torn apart when Nam-mu's father is revealed to be a serial killer responsible for the murder of Nak-won's family.  Years later they are reunited when a hard nosed reporter starts forcing them in to the spotlight reporting on the the Serial Killer's biography which she helped to write.  Nam-mu now a detective and Nak-won an actress following in her mother's footsteps are thrown back in to hell when a copy cat killer stalks them.  Reunited but with everyone against their relationship they fight to overcome the stigma they face. 

This series surprised me it was a lot darker than some the others I had watched, the two actors playing Nam-mu (Nam Da-reum as the younger, Jang Ki-young as the older) are amazing playing the quiet and withdrawn Nam-mu with silent intensity.  Jin Ki-joo plays a sweet and innocently trusting Nak-won that leads to some emotionally intense teens with both the younger and elder Nam-mu.  Kim Seo-hyung is intense as the dislikable reporter who will do anything and hurt anyone to push her story. 

4. 2 Weeks 
When petty criminal and small time gangster Jang Tae-san falls in love with model and dance teacher Seo In-hye and finds out she is pregnant he prepares to start over with her.  Moon Il-suk a higher ranking gangster blackmails Tae-San in to being his fall guy for an assault charge.  Threatening to kill In-hye if Tae-san doesn't serve the prison sentence in his place.  Eight years later, now a pawn shop worker and using older women to pay for his lifestyle he finds out he has an eight year old daughter who is in need of bone marrow transplant.  When Tae-san takes the test and is a bone marrow match he promises to undergo the life saving surgery in two weeks.  Just as before Moon Il-suk gets in the way framing Tae-san for the murder of an informant spying on him to unveil a political plot.  On the run from the police and a hitman all Tae-san has to do is still alive for two weeks to save his daughter. 

Lee Joon-gi excelles as Tae-san and his scenes with Lee Chae-mi as his daughter Soo-jin are beautifully filmed and heartfelt.  The cat and mouse game keeps you hooked as the count down to the operation ticks towards zero.  This is definitely a binge worthy series and you will be saying just one more... even if you need matchsticks to hold your eyes open. 

5. Vagabond 
When his nephew is involved in a tragic air crash, stuntman Cha Dai-gun is determined to find out the truth behind the accident as he becomes convinced there's more to the crash than there seems.  His path crosses with NIS officer Go Hae-ri and she and they work together to unveil the corruption behind the accident.  

Just as Come and Hug Me surprised me by it's darkness, Vagabond surprised me with the amount of comedy it contained.  Lee Seung-gi plays Cha Dai-gun and he balances seriousness with comic timing well, the actions sequences are faced paced.  It has an international flavour with filming taking place in Morocco and Portugal.  







Coming soon...... my top 5 Romantic Korean Dramas 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get Ready With Me - Pamper Routine

Life is hectic, stressful and chaotic, it can play havoc with your skin, your health and your general wellbeing.  Sometimes you just have to say stop and take a little time for yourself to give your body a treat and recharge your batteries for the days/weeks ahead. After going through periods of stress and anxiety I found that taking some time to have a mini pamper session could lift my mood, help my skin and lower my stress levels.  I try at least once a week to give myself a mini pamper session to relax and refocus my mind. This is currently my pamper routine; As we move in to Spring I'm exfoliating my skin with Calcot Manor Body salts, this is refreshing my skin and leaving it feeling smooth after months of being hidden under long sleeves and jumpers. I apply to damp skin using a circular motion starting at the feet and working my way up. CALCOT MANOR SCRUB I then shower off the salts which do leave a bit of oil on the skin, I tend to follow up with Treacle Moon

10 Things I Love about "It's Okay to Not be Okay"

It's Okay to not be Okay, started this past weekend on Netflix and TVN, produced by Studio Dragon, Story TV and Goldmedalist, it is a Romantic Drama a a whimsical fairy tale twist, staring Kim Soo Hyun in his first TV drama since returning from military service and Seo Ye Ji of Lawless Lawyer. This is a show I've been looking forward to since it was announced and I have to say the pre show hype did not disappoint. So two episodes in, here are the ten things I love about this show so far; 1.  Burton esq Whimsey The show begins with a Tim Burton esq animation, reminiscent of the Corpse Bride and Nightmare before Christmas, with a twisted tale to match.  The dark fairy tale and graphic characters of the animation are carried through in to the illustrations of Ko Moon-young's (Seo Ye Ji) children's books I love how the animation isn't dark which makes some of its darker themes all the more impactful. It also sets up Ko Moon-young as a character bea

Room Tour - Study Redesign

My house is my sanctuary, which every now and again needs a bit of a spruce up.  At the moment it's my study that needs a little TLC.  It's been a bit neglected for a while so this year it's getting a bit of  lift.  I also think my tastes have changed a little since the last time I decorated it properly. To start with, my study is quite a small room, it's meant to be my writing/working at home haven; a dedicated space to work.  A couple of years ago I bought my desk which I love, it's solid wood and reminds me of the desks you see in old movies or period dramas.  So the theme for this room will fit in generally with the look of my desk. I looked through the Houz app which I do find kick starts my interior design creativity and I watched some of the home design videos of my favourite vloggers such as Fleur De Force, Alexandrea Garza, Viviannadoesmakeup  etc. I  settled on the following key aspects I wanted to incorporate in my design;  Richly coloured w